In the last month I have been excited, shocked, surprised and maybe a little annoyed by how many posts on plastics I have seen and read. Excited because this is definitely something that I have thought about and have had concerns about for a while. Shocked because of what I’m reading. Surprised that so many people at once are getting on this trend (some trends are so valuable, right!?) and Annoyed because do I really want one more thing to avoid! One more stream to swim against…
Even though avoiding plastics, or trying to minimize them in our clothing, and just in general is so difficult and takes time, energy and resources. I am watching all of these amazing people who really care, who inspire me daily and I’m starting to feel like maybe I can do this. I think it’s time our life should change.
That being said, I have three children, I run two companies and let’s just be real – I don’t have time for this. But, my children are now eating the plastic that I’m washing when I wash our synthetic clothing. Every straw or spoon or cup that I throw away contributes to 6 MILLION tons of waste a year.
At Route, I am ready for us to start making small changes. We already purchase pieces made with environmentally sustainable or recycled materials as often as we can. We use cotton bags to store and wrap our jewelry instead of plastic. But there is so much more we can do. After much thinking I have three goals for my family and 3 for Route:
- Switching all shipping packaging to recycled paper products within the next six months.
- Finding at least one new partner group that uses organic clothing to include in our line.
- Purchasing at least 30% of our jewelry made with recycled materials.
My Family (this is so much easier!)
- Start bringing metal straws or not use straws at all when we go out.
- When I need to buy more plates or cups keeping them plastic free.
- Never using disposable plastic wear in our kitchen.
Well, we will see how this goes! I hope that you are also feeling inspired to think through plastic consumption in your life and that Route can help with that.
Happy Conscious Purchasing!